Summer is finally here! Backyard swimming pools are a great place to spend time with family and friends during the summer months, but pool ownership also comes with responsibility.
We want everyone to have a safe and fun time at the pool, which is why educating yourself on pool safety is very important.
Drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death in children ages 1-4. To improve pool and spa safety, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) launched Pool Safely: Simple Steps to Save Lives, a national public education campaign to reduce childhood drownings, submersion injuries and entrapments.
The campaign is a call-to-action for consumers and industry to adopt proven water safety steps and join a national conversation about pool and spa safety by sharing best practices and other life-saving information.
What Can You Do?
Stay Close, Be Alert, and Watch
- Always watch children and never leave them unattended
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes and other openings
- Have a charged phone close by at all times
- If a child is missing, check the pool first
- Share safety instructions with family, friends and neighbors
Learn and Practice Water Safety Skills
- Learn to swim and make sure kids do, too
- Know how to perform CPR on children and adults
- Understand the basics of life-saving so that you can assist in a pool emergency
Have the Appropriate Equipment
- Install a fence of at least four feet in height around the perimeter of the pool or spa
- Use self-closing and self-latching gates
- Ensure all pools and spas have compliant drain covers
- Install an alarm on the door leading from the house to the pool
- Keep pool and spa covers in working order
- Have life-saving equipment such as life rings or reaching poles available for use
Take a minute and take the pledge to make sure your family is safer around water this year. Adult and child versions are available!
Along with pool safety, reviewing your insurance policy is very important. Pools are typically covered by your homeowners policy, but making sure you have the right protection in place is also vital. If someone were to be injured while swimming in your pool, you could potentially be liable for their medical or legal expenses from the accident.
We are happy to help you review your policy to make sure you are covered adequately to enjoy your pool worry free!